Saturday, December 7, 2019

Holiday Decorating Made Simple


Hello, Cafe friends!

I am recovering from a nasty cold this week. Yikes! I have three articles to write in two weeks, and my stuffed up head has me feeling like a cotton-headed ninimuggins.

This too shall pass.

I really wanted to streamline the holiday decor this year. Sometimes, it can feel like a cluttered mess when you start dragging it all out of the boxes. This year, I decided that it does not all have to come out. A little goes a long way.

What I really wanted to do was add more greenery and twinkle lights. But not just any greenery. I wanted the really pretty greenery that I bought from a local shop called the Pineapple House two years ago.

Here it is:


Gorgeous and realistic, never fades. But these garlands were pricey. That is why I only purchased two. I used one on the fireplace mantle and one on the hutch. But then I started to think how nice it would be to have matching garlands in other places, like the armoire and hall bench and piano.

Last year, I decided I would pop in after Christmas and get more on sale. Guess what? Sold out...even before Thanksgiving, according to the shop owner.

So this year I had a plan...buy early!  I went to the shop in early November and found the matching wreath. When I asked the owner about the garlands, she told me they weren't available this year.

Waaah!

What's a desperate person to do? Look on Amazon, of course! And lo and behold, I found them! They are made by a company called Sullivan's, and this greenery is called "arborvitae". I bought three, and I'm so happy I did! They made decorating super simple.






My other decorating splurge this year: these candle clip on lights. I saw them in the shop last year and just loved them. You can clip them anywhere, and the base rotates so you can get them straight. The best part? Battery-operated with a remote to turn them on and off! I clipped one to the wreath on the front door, too.



Keeping it simple so that we can turn our focus to what really matters this Christmas.


Blessings on your weekend, cafe friends!

2 comments:

  1. Mary, your décor is just right and the lights add the perfect touch to each item. We sent half of our décor to Salvation Army as we are planning our first move in 40 years to half the size house. One big box was stuffed with 10 silk fir garlands that you had to fluff up but always lost some on the floor. We hadn't used them in a decade and they went to a young family in our church. It freshens the holiday to change out décor with less or more depending on one's whims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simplified this year too...a little, LOL! Your candles and greenery are beautiful. I feel the need to pare down the older I get!

    ReplyDelete