Saturday, June 27, 2020

Berry Picking


It's berry season here in Michigan!

A friend told me about a You-Pick farm not far from us. She said the prices were reasonable and the picking was excellent.


We went in the morning, and the weather was lovely! Seventy degrees and sunny. Perfect.


I wondered if one box would be enough. Ha! We filled that box and it weighed in at nearly twelve pounds!



Most of the berries were small, but oh so sweet!


And because they are so small and so fresh, they had to be processed immediately!

Thus far, I made two dozen half pint jars of Triple Berry Jam. Strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry. The first batch came out a little suspect (I used Certo pectin, and wasn't a fan). I went back to the store and purchased Sure Gell pectin, and the next two batches came out perfect. They are waiting to go in to the freezer today.

After all that jam making, I still had half a box of strawberries left. What to do? I cleaned them all and put them on parchment lined cookie sheets, and left them in the freezer overnight. This morning, I took them out and put them all in freezer bags. This way, I can make more jam in the future.





A beautiful day in the country.

Pure Michigan!

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I bought raspberries at our local Farmer's Market and made freezer jam yesterday. I always forget how beautiful they look on the counter. Enjoy your labor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful, aren't they? Like jewels!Raspberry jam is one of my favorites!

      Delete