Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Growing Butterflies


Anyone can grow a butterfly garden! And sometimes, you get lucky enough to grow the butterflies in your garden, too!


We found three monarch caterpillars happily chomping away at my dill in the herb garden last June.


Around that same time, I also spotted this cool moth that looks like it's covered in Mossy Oak camouflage!


I try to plant flowers with the birds, bees, and butterflies in mind.






They love milkweed, but unfortunately, it can take over your garden! I'm letting just a few grow for now.


The butterfly bush is blooming this week, and I'm starting to see a lot more visitors to the flowers.

I'm making a list of more plants to add to the garden...bee balm, yarrow, lavendar. I'm also making a list of what NOT to attempt in the garden...like the petunias that the bunnies ate to the ground! (Wax begonias and Dusty Miller next time!)

It seems like the garden is constantly evolving.  Before you know it,  I will be thinking about autumn mums and asters. But for now, I am enjoying the height of summer season.

1 comment:

  1. Your green thumb is amazing! My daughters grew a butterfly garden inside many years ago when they were small, then we released them outside at the appropriate time. It kept them fascinated for weeks. I love seeing your garden pictures - and I love Jemma lying on the ground in the last one, basking in the sun! My dog does the same thing.

    ReplyDelete