Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Meal Kit Subscription Service

 


2020 brought a lot of changes for our family, as it did for many families around the country and the globe.

One of the big changes for me was how my husband's new position (and my sons' new at-home school schedule) impacted the way I shop and cook and feed my family.

When my husband was traveling four to five days a week, he had a Per Diem provided by the company for all of his meals. Now that he no longer travels, he is home for dinner every night. And on top of that, he needs food for the lunches that he packs.

My grocery budget has gone sky high! I am at the grocery store at least three times a week, buying all of the supplies and foods that the family members need. It feels like I am on a constant cycle of buying food, cooking food, cleaning up after cooking food, and then starting it all over again.

It's getting old.

I decided to mix it up a little by trying a local meal subscription service.


Zilke Farm Kitchen is a local farm that also offers ready made meals and a meal subscription service. I recently signed up to try two meals a week for every other week.


Last night's meal: chicken and dumplings!  Each kit comes with pre-chopped items and instructions, all sealed. This one was surprisingly simple to fix and it was delicious! Comfort food, for sure! The family loved it.


This kit was meant to feed two, but I added a big side of green beans to stretch the servings for three.


And one of the best parts of this service is that I can pick it up at my favorite local café! Carrigan's makes the best spicy Mexican Latte!

Have you tried any meal subscription services? 







2 comments:

  1. I've never tried a meal subscription service, but it looks easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not, mainly because I enjoy the planning and cooking of meals. I've thought of getting them during cross country season when I'm coaching. Having a local farm provide it would get me to give it at a try for sure, though. I love getting my food from local farmers and we're blessed to live in an area where almost everything we buy is local.
    Mary Rose, your blog is so enjoyable for the plethora of wonderfully creative ideas, tips, tricks, and suggestions you give. It's why I keep coming back! Thank you for sharing your finds!

    ReplyDelete