Monday, April 12, 2021

Changing With The Change


Menopause is a journey. And it seems like each woman has a different experience, too.

 I thought that menopause was all about mood swings and hot flashes.

 It turns out that both of those were not an issue for me.

I have been experiencing unique symptoms. At first, I was chalking them all up to autoimmune disorders. But after doctor visits and blood work, I am beginning to think that all of these things may just be related to menopause.

I noticed toward the end of last year that I was losing hair. Like, a lot of hair! I could see scalp where I never saw it before. I have thin hair, but I have always had a lot of it. Lately, not so much. My nails were brittle, and my skin looked dull and puffy.

I was also feeling sluggish and puffy, as if my whole body was experiencing inflammation, not just my joints.

And weight gain. Yeah, that stinks. It becomes nearly impossible to lose without severe caloric restrictions.

I started doing a little research and decided to add some supplements to my diet. I am a healthy eater, avoiding the typical American fast food restaurant diet. I do a LOT of shopping and cooking with lots of healthy fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins instead. I drink a lot of water, avoid sugar, watch my fats and carbs. But I knew I could probably do better.

I began with the Goli gummies. ACV ( with Vitamin B complexes) and Ashwagandha (with Vitamin D complexes). Both of these help support joint health, digestion, and lots of other good stuff. And they taste great, too. Bonus!

About two months ago, I decided to add collagen to my supplement regime, too. I had taken collagen in the past, but it has been a while. I recalled that it helped with hair growth, which was my big concern.

But wow, what I forgot about collagen is that it makes your skin look fantastic!

Here's a photo from Thanksgiving, puffy face and all:


And here's a photo today. Yes, the hair is different, but I also tried to take the photo in the same spot with the same angle.


I can really see and feel the difference. Firm skin, not doughy. And more of a glow. 

As to the hair, the loss has really slowed now and I think I am seeing some improvement. (It's one of the reasons I cut my hair short and in layers...to disguise it!).  

Overall, I would say inflammation has greatly decreased and I feel really healthy. I haven't lost any weight...yet! But I am upping my exercise and restricting those calories. Just a little more vigilant now in the hopes that I can shed a few pounds soon.

Taking care of my health (and my family's health) was one of my priorities for 2021. So far, so good!

Stay well, café friends!





 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finding a regimen that works for you!

    ReplyDelete