Tuesday, June 22, 2021

A Sad Year For Seeds

 


I told you last month how I planted a bunch of seeds. So frugal! So economical! Well, here's the truth about those seeds. They did terrible this year! And not just for me. My mom and sister, Jenny, also reported no success with them. My sister actually gave up on her zinnia seeds, went to the greenhouse, and bought a flat of mature zinnias and planted them in her garden.

I think I will have to do the same.


In the meantime, I bought a flat of wax begonias and started planting them where there were empty spots. I noticed last year that the bunnies and deer were not eating the wax begonias that neighbors had planted in their gardens, so I made a note of it in my planner for this year.





Whenever possible, I try to carry a color theme throughout the gardens to unify the spaces. At the front sidewalk, I now have a butterfly garden doing well (which all the neighbors and dog walkers seem to love!), and closer to the house I have a mix of shrubbery, perennials and annuals. 

Last year, I used an awesome peachy colored petunia in the spaces. But this year, these happy orangey-red begonias are doing well so far.

Burpee, you really let me down this year. Seeds are not that cheap (almost $2 a pack now), and you are lucky if you get a dozen or so seeds these days. That was at least $25 wasted. Live and learn.

I think I will make a note of that in my planner for next year.













No comments:

Post a Comment