Thursday, October 14, 2021

Finished! Finally!

 


I'm so excited to report that the kitchen remodel/update project is finally completed!

After waiting for a full package of kitchen appliances that we ordered (and paid for!) in August 2020, we  had to give up on the notion of matching and try for "coordinating" instead. The COVID pandemic caused so many disruptions in the manufacturing industry, and there is a terrible backlog and shortage of appliances everywhere.

The Wall Street Journal published a story this month with the headline "Just 180 More Days Until Your Oven Arrives: Appliance Delays Cause Havoc."

Yep. Havoc.

We had originally placed the order with a small Michigan appliance chain that kept telling us every month "Maybe next month." And then the month after that. And then the month after that.

The gas range and microwave arrived in December. And at the beginning of 2021, I became doubtful that the refrigerator would ever arrive. We cancelled that order and found a white Samsung from Best Buy. Happiness!


The dishwasher was tricky. It is right next to the gas range, and I thought it would look odd if it didn't match. So we waited. And waited. And waited. I would often check other appliance centers to see what was available. Finally, I found a white Whirlpool dishwasher at Best Buy this month that looked like it just might be in stock. Three racks, white, with a stainless accent that would match the oven. And best part? Kitchenaid and Whirlpool are made by the same manufacturer, so I knew the white would be identical.

And the other best part? Two hundred dollars cheaper than the one we originally ordered. And I like this one better!


Some people may wonder...why white? For me, personally, I am tired of the stainless steel appliance trend. I like the "retro" vintage look of white appliances. And I think I was inspired by my Kitchenaid stand mixer. The white just gives a more "cottage" look to my kitchen.

My husband kept blaming the delays on my choice of white. Maybe. But when you know what you want and you have a vision, you've got to hold out hope!


The kitchen is a small space, as you can see. It's essentially a galley kitchen. Here's what we did over time to update the space:

*painted the walls Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue
*replaced blinds with café curtains
*replaced light fixture
*painted the brown tile backsplash white
*replaced the kitchen sink fixture
*replaced the cabinet hardware with chrome knobs and pulls
*replaced all the black appliances

Little tweaks. But the little things make a big difference.


Eventually, I think I'd like to wrap the back and sides of the island in a wainscoting painted white, to match the wainscoting you see on the left. But I'm happy with my decision not to paint the maple cabinets. They are still in good condition, and they give a nice warmth to the space. I am also noticing that the white kitchen cabinet trend seems to be moving on, and wood tones are becoming popular.


I sent photos to my son, John, this week with the message "A true COVID pandemic miracle! God bless us, everyone!" 😀

Like I said, 2021 is my year of getting stuff done!

Another project checked off the list!



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting the last appliance that you needed! We had some of the same frustration getting a new refrigerator. Ours quit working, so we had to take what was available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your endurance remodel! It looks so good and you'll enjoy each new appliance knowing the effort to replace. Our new house has all stainless and I'm so over the fingerprints etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most welcoming, coziest, warmest decorating style. I love your kitchen! It looks a place where you want to sit down and have a cup of tea and a great conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new appliances look awesome! I think the white looks so fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete