Thursday, May 26, 2022

Retro Typewriter

 


I have a new guilty pleasure. Promise not to laugh? I have been watching old re-runs of the television series Hart to Hart on the Ovation channel. And I gotta admit, I love it. 😂

There's something so fun and almost timeless about the show that is appealing. Who doesn't love a self-made millionaire, his beautiful talented wife, their devoted man-of-all trades, and their scrappy dog, Freeway? 

And you cannot argue with the fact that Stephanie Powers was(and still is!) a beautiful woman, and she had beautiful hair! LOL!

Sure, the story lines can get a little hokey (how many times can one couple get kidnapped?!), but it beats a lot of the junk that's on TV today.

The thing that really makes me pause is just how rapidly things have changed over the years. The show was mostly filmed in the early eighties. I would've been in high school, so Sam's age. Back then, no cell phones. Telephones were attached to wires, and they either sat on a desk or counter top, or they were wired to the wall.

Computers? Ha! No laptops. Computers were housed in giant rooms in giant buildings.

And in today's episode, Jennifer Hart was writing for a daytime soap opera (remember those?), and she was typing at a manual typewriter...not even electric!


I do get a little nostalgic for those times. That's a sure sign you are getting old! We live in such a crazy world, where technology moves at warp speed, everyday vocabulary and lexicon changes with the wind, and social niceties and norms are under constant assault. 

We seem to be angrier. We seem to be sadder. We seem to be disconnected and set adrift. We have too much news, and none of it is good. We have too many options for entertainment, and so much of it seems as if it's bad for us. We have so much research on what is healthy and good for us, and yet with so many choices, we often choose the unhealthy. We are selfish instead of serving, prideful instead of humble, isolated instead of connected, violent instead of peaceful, disjointed instead of unified.

It reminds of the words of St. Paul in Romans 7 "For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing...Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

It's weeks like this when I have to remind myself that Jesus sits on the throne, ruling and reigning. Evil may look as if it is winning, but Satan is defeated. 


Today's card is a nod to the nostalgic. Colorful typewriters, crazy kitchen wallpapers, and slower forms of communication...like letters instead of text messages.

Even sending a card via snail mail is old school. But let's keep doing it anyway.

{Today's Brew: MFT stamps and dies, CP inks/paper/sequins}

2 comments:

  1. I second everything you said....and I confess to watching Andy of Mayberry a lot!! Satan will not win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully written words. I wonder if, as the population grows and it gets more cumbersome and time-consuming to do anything, people are viewing other people as "in their way" and a burden. But at the root, it's a spiritual issue....drifting from or outright rejecting God....creating one's own reality.....thinking that one is above nature and God's laws. A couple years ago, I began asking God everyday to keep me "thinking small", that is, to focus on the needs of those in my space, whether it's family or someone I talk to in line at the store or someone at my church or a neighbor, etc. I also began talking more to people while out and about. Those two things have made me see that people are not my enemies and most people are trying to live decently and quietly and are searching for connection and meaning. I love your blog, Mary Rose!

    ReplyDelete