Friday, April 5, 2024

Good Food and Good Numbers

 


My husband and I have been on a mission to get those health-related appointments crossed off our To Do lists. We've done eye doctors and dentists. And now we're getting to the job of finding new primary care physicians.

My husband went in this week, and he even got his bloodwork done, with all lab results complete.

My man is in great shape! His cholesterol is well in the normal range, his glucose/blood sugar is in normal range, his blood pressure is excellent.

It's not all that surprising, considering that he rode 4000 miles on his bike last year! What is surprising is that he's going to be sixty in a few months, and the only med he takes is a daily Zyrtec.

 I also think that our nutrition plays a big role.

Gone are the days of drive thru and weekly carryout pizza. 

I incorporate things into our meals that we probably would have laughed at ten years ago.

Zucchini noodles. Quinoa. Riced cauliflower. Sprouted bread. Gluten free pasta.

Our pantry is full of beans, olive and avocado oils, flax and chia, almonds and walnuts.

Our fridge is full of berries and citrus fruits, spinach and kale and leafy greens. Almond milk and whole fat Greek yogurt. Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts.

I try to buy organic, but it's not always possible. We do our best, but I'm also a bargain shopper. 


I put myself on a daily regimen of supplements last year (after getting no help from my doctor at that time). Menopausal women need a lot of assistance, and these small changes proved to show big results for my overall health.

If you read all the articles that pop up on feeds, it seems like we are obsessed with not dying. How can we prevent it? We can't. No vaccine or diet will save you. Your chances of death are 100%. 

We just want to be good stewards of the bodies that we've been given. 


This meal is a good example of my new cooking style.

Fiesta Chicken and Quinoa

1 c. quinoa, cooked according to directions
Chicken strips (I used Tyson Fajita Chicken, but you could sub rotisserie chicken if you have it)
Low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. corn
1 can diced tomatoes
Chopped Romaine
Mexican cheese for topping
Chopped avocado for topping
Salsa

EDITED: I forgot to add the seasoning! I used a little cumin, chili powder, and Mexican oregano.

Cook chicken in skillet. Add beans, corn, tomato. Add quinoa. Place mix into an oven-safe pan. If desired, top with cheese and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Serve on top of lettuce and add favorite toppings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment