Friday, May 17, 2024

Photos from the Yard and Garden

 


May is a month that keeps us very busy in the yard and garden, and this year was no exception. We've had a lot of projects that were waiting for the nice weather.



For starters, we've had to replace a lot of bushes, especially where the arbor vitae fell under winter's ice storms.

So far, we've planted two varieties of juniper along the side of the house: Blue Point Juniper and Moonglow. I was able to find both of them at Walmart at a much better price than the local nurseries.


Right now, these bushes look like babies compared to the last giant remaining arbor vitae. But junipers can grow from 12 to 20 feet tall, so we're hoping they will fill in over time.




In the fall, I will get some low-growing bushes to plant in front. But for now, we added these bushes and the mulch and called it "Good enough!"


I always struggle with this backyard shady spot. The roots from the maple tree make it hard to plant.



We added a few azaleas called "Rosebud". I love the name, but the deer seem to love the leaves.


They also like this delicious hanging basket of impatiens.


Time for the Liquid Fence!


Another new bush we added is this variety of hydrangea paniculata called "Berry White". I loved the name (because it made me think of the famous singer!). We planted this one under Sam's bedroom window in the hopes that it will expand. The tag says it blossoms all season in shades of white to pink, and will grow with a spread up to six feet tall and six feet wide. Yes! Grow, little bush! Fill this space for me!


What are all those little white flags about? Well, as we ran out of money for more perennials and annuals, I decided to throw some seeds in a few spots and hope for the best. Cosmos and zinnias. This spot gets a bit of sun in the afternoon, and I'm hoping it will be enough to encourage some growth.


I planted toad lily and bleeding hearts a few years ago, and they seem to like this spot. You would think that other shade loving plants like ferns and astible and coral bells would thrive here, but I've had no success with them. And while I love hostas, the deer do, also.


One of our more expensive projects this summer will be our deck. We have a wonderful man named Lou that worked on it for us five years ago. He cleaned it, replaced some wood, and painted it in these two shades of stain. It made such a difference!

Well, five years later, and the stain has worn in a few spots. Our biggest concern was the wood rot that was occurring in a few places.


Lou has replaced the rotted wood. Next step will be to power wash everything. And then, when he has time after all his other summer clients, he will come back to paint it all and make it pretty again.


And finally, I can't forget to show you this view from the back yard that we had last week. Aurora Borrealis!


The northern lights! It is rare to see them this far south. God put on quite a stunning show for us in the heavens.


So that's what's been happening in our little corner of the world.

Now that the big planting projects are done, I can focus on the weeding and watering.


Blessings on your weekend, café friends!

1 comment:

  1. Photos of your yard and garden are always lovely. Not having a green thumb myself (and zero interest in acquiring one), I do appreciate those who are talented in that area. A friend gave me a gift of a hosta plant and the deer never touch it. I wonder why?
    I don't spray it with anything. Could it be because the pot is in the same area our dog always goes to the bathroom (i.e. the scent keeps them away)?
    We saw the northern lights here in Pittsburgh, too, and they were beautiful!

    ReplyDelete