Wednesday, June 12, 2024

In The Garden: Hollyhocks

 


Hollyhocks are such an old fashioned flower. My mother has vivid memories of the hollyhocks that grew in the alley behind her childhood home. She said that she would make dolls from the flowers, using the small round buds for heads and the flowers for skirts. Aww, so sweet!


Last year, when I decided not to grow vegetables, I threw down some flower seeds instead and also planted two hollyhock plants. They grew a bit, but did not do much. That is because hollyhocks are biennials. If you plant them one year, they won't bloom until the next.

Well, this year they are HUGE! Over six or seven feet tall. And more than likely, they are going to prevent my tomato plants from growing very much this year. There's just not enough sunlight for everybody.

But with blossoms this sweet, I can't complain.



This variety was called Las Vegas, which is funny when you consider my son and his bride just got married there last month!


I made this card yesterday using the Hollyhocks Botanicuts dies from The Greetery.

{Today's Brew: Hollyhocks Botanicuts dies (The Greetery), sentiment (The Greetery), Barnwood background stamp (Concord and 9th), CP inks}


I'm going to try to make a few more cards with other colors and sentiments later today. Betsy always has very informative videos to show you how to color and assemble these dies. I learned a lot from watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment