Wednesday, June 5, 2024

New Harmony, Indiana

 


Fifteen years ago, we were traveling as a family through southern Indiana as part of our oldest son's college tours. My husband said "There's a town near here I think we should visit. It's called New Harmony."

We knew nothing about the town, but we figured it would be a nice, quick detour.

It was a chilly day in April, with flurries blowing in the wind when we arrived. But within a short time of our arrival, the snow stopped and the sun came out. And then the flowers began to bloom. And the bushes began to bloom. It was like the scene in the Chronicles of Narnia when spring returns after the long and constant winter.

Everywhere you walked, there were meticulous gardens and amazing art and sculptures. Cats strolled in pairs down the town's sidewalks. There were labyrinths and amazing architecture and towering trees. Birdsong filled with air.

"There is old German Lutheran magic happening in this town," I told my husband.

"How do you know?" he asked.

"I don't know how. I just do."

It was as if the town was charmed, and it's hard to explain it with words. The town wanted me to love it, and did everything in it's power to make that happen.


We toured the town's small museum and library, which was another treasure trove. It was there that we learned the town's history.

Yes, it was founded by German Lutherans.


George Rapp and his followers, called Rappites, settled in this town to start a Utopian society as part of a pietist movement. They called themselves Harmonists. They built amazing buildings and started businesses and farmed the land. After some time, they sold their town to Robert Owen, who started a secular Utopian society. The Harmonists moved to Economy, Pennsylvania (we have toured this settlement as well).

One painting of George Rapp depicts him wearing a red pointy cap.


"This town was founded by garden gnomes!" I laughed.

I really wanted to get back to New Harmony and see if this one visit was just a fluke.

My husband and I decided to book a stay at the New Harmony Inn, with dinner at their famed Red Geranium Restaurant.


On my first trip, I learned that New Harmony is famous for its Golden Rain Trees, which only bloom once a year.

Yes, they bloomed for my on that first visit fifteen years ago.

And guess what? They bloomed for me again on my visit last week.


So how is it that a little town in the middle of nowhere became an artist colony of sorts? And what will you find if you visit?








Did I still feel the magic of the town fifteen years later? Yes I did.

There's so much I want to share with you! The Roofless Church, Paul Tillich Park, New Harmony at night. It may take a few posts, so grab a cup and stop back soon!

2 comments:

  1. New Harmony looks absolutely charming! And a farmers' and artisans' market? Yes, please! I love going to those when in other towns and cities. My daughter and I went to one in Anchorage, Alaska when there 5 years ago and found so many items unique to the location. I love that turquoise bridge in one of your photos!
    I live just a couple miles from Old Economy in PA! Your fifth picture looks just like it (which make since it's the same society) I used to volunteer there when I was in 7th grade. My mom sewed the period costume I had to wear to make visitors feel like they were stepping back into that time.
    This will be nice to see the other photos you share from New Harmony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, that is amazing! We really liked Old Economy...they gave a lot of background on those tours, and told the history of some pretty famous people who visited the Harmonists there.

      Delete