Is it just me?
Mail has gotten SOOO boring in recent years. It's hardly worth the walk to the mailbox anymore.
I remember when the mail was filled with magazines and catalogs, hand-written letters and greeting cards. Daily newspapers. Things you could hold in your hand.
With the rising cost of stamps and postage, it seems like we're getting fewer and fewer fun things to look forward to in the mail. Department stores rarely send anything in the mail. Companies expect their customers to look at online websites instead.
I remember when I was a young stay-at-home Mom. Mail time was something I always looked forward to! My Mom would send us subscriptions to fun publications like Victoria magazine. I would make a cup of tea and devour them cover to cover.
Catalog companies sent so much seasonal inspiration! I remember when Gooseberry Patch sent their sweet, hand illustrated catalogs full of recipes and decor.
Now, it seems like it's nothing but credit card applications, political ads, and the occasional postcard for some home service or local dentist.
I go to the mailbox, take out the mail, and put it right into the recycle bin.
So what can we do to combat boring mail?
Send handmade cards, of course!
I sent a stack today. And I need to send more.
I hope someone gets my card in their stack of boring mail, and I hope it makes them smile.


This is why I still subscribe to magazines - it's SO much fun to get that surprise!
ReplyDeleteIn the last year, I've been mailing an average of 10 cards a week as part of the Kindness Card Program. Since writing and making cards are enjoyable to me, it feels purposeful to use those joys to uplift and encourage others through this program. I'm very glad I found it! It's also nice to include an appropriate Bible verse or passage, to plant a seed if you will.