Monday, September 28, 2026

Before September Ends

 


Before September comes to a close, I want to talk about the importance of cancer detection and research.

This month is Ovarian Caner Awareness month, and towns across the US tie teal ribbons everywhere to raise awareness.

We were visiting the town of Dexter this weekend and saw the ribbons tied to lamp posts.


And it just so happened that we had a family picnic at the park where my brother-in-law had a park bench dedicated in my sister, Tina's memory.


Tina was Luke's godmother, and it was sweet that he took his wife to see the bench.


Cancer has really impacted my family in recent years. My sister died of ovarian cancer. My nephew died of lung cancer just this year. My Mom died from a blood cancer. And sadly, I just learned that one of my brothers is being treated for prostate cancer this week. 

Is it just me, or does it seem like cancers are becoming more and more prevalent?

It's a sad topic for a Monday, I know. But it makes me wonder what are the root causes, and how can we change this trend? 

I'm reminded of the words of that great hymn: Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.

I will hold on to hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment