Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Starting an Art Journal


This spring, one of the ladies at my church began to offer a bible journaling class. It was so much fun! Even though I've been doing some bible journaling for a few years, it is nice to be around others who are excited about it.

Laurel, our instructor, gave us all a theme book to decorate and use in any way we'd like. I decided to use my journal to collect all of the quotes I've been finding from Martin Luther. So many interesting thoughts and ideas! I decided this would be a good way for me to practice my hand lettering, and to stretch a little creatively.


I used some Simple Stories background papers and some washi tape and sticker letters for the cover. I added one of my own linocut prints to the cover. This is a print of Luther's Rose seal that I had water colored.


Inside, I am using the quotes as a springboard for some creative water coloring. I used a Sharpie pen to hand letter and draw images, and then went back with my Prima watercolor confections to add color and detail.





This has been a great way for me to break the stamps and card-making mold, and to stretch a little artistically and creatively.

I find so many ways to be creative in daily life...in my gardening, cooking, home decorating, card making, needle art and stitching, and in my writing. Growing and changing and learning a little every day. I suppose if I was working full time, I'd be too tired to incorporate all of these elements into a daily routine. But for now, this has been a fun adventure, and I'm thankful for the time I have to try it.

I want to learn to draw and paint and letter a little better than I currently do. I guess that's where practice comes in to play.

What would you like to learn to do one day?

Thanks for visiting the cafe today!

No comments:

Post a Comment