Monday, July 30, 2018

Summer Legs


Many years back, when my boys were still little, there was a children's book called Summer Legs, written by Anita Hakkinen and adorably illustrated by Abby Carter. It was such a sweet story illustrating all the ways that our "summer legs" are unique: tanned and covered in scratches, band aids, and mosquito bites from all of the summertime adventures.



My legs have gotten pretty tan this summer, which must be a sign that I'm spending more time outdoors. Gardening, dog walking, biking, enjoying the sunshine and soaking up the Vitamin D.

In years past, I have slathered on the self tanner, and then followed up with a slathering of sunscreen. This year, I am forgoing the fake tan in place of the real one, and skipping the sunscreen altogether. And here's why.

I have a niece that works in cancer and research. Many researchers are starting to wonder if the big surge in skin cancers has less to do with exposure to the sun, and more to do with the harmful products we spread all over our bodies. After all, our skin is the largest organ we have. What we put on it really does matter.


I really do feel the benefits of the sun every time I go outdoors. It makes me happy and centered and thankful for God's creation. I marvel at the flowers in the garden and appreciate the tenacity of the deer and bunnies who continue to eat them. I love the day songs of the birds and the night songs of the crickets and locusts.

This is big progress for me. Many of my summers of the past decade were spent sick and indoors, suffering with the effects of Lyme disease. I had developed a fear and distrust of nature because it had really done a number on me. But living fearfully of the next bite is no way to live.

These legs will only see the sunshine for a few more precious weeks, but I plan to soak up the rays and remember these summer days long after they are gone.

1 comment:

  1. No sunscreen for me either....a little dip in the ocean and then back under the umbrella!! And most of my tan comes from mowing, anyway, LOL! Enjoy the weather, the outdoors and your pretty tan!

    ReplyDelete