Friday, August 3, 2018

Previously Loved and Gently Used: My Philosophy


Hello! And welcome to the cafe!

Today I'm featuring a new-to-me stamp set from My Favorite Things called Just My Type.


I loved this set for a long time, but never got around to buying it. And then it was retired, and I thought I missed my chance.


But lucky for me, someone was selling their previously loved and gently used stamp set and dies, and I was able to get it at a great price!


Now that I'm working as a freelance writer again, I thought it would be really fun to add this typewriter set to my collection.


As I've mentioned before, I've been doing a lot more buying (and selling) from the used forums these days. And why not? If I'm just a little patient, many of the items I like will end up on someone's "Purging and De-stashing" list. It's nice to refresh my craft collection on occasion, and not have to break the bank to do it.

I have bought and sold many items for my home this way, too. Our family room IKEA couches and tables, for example.  If there's something I've been interested in finding, I will often go look at Craigslist first, just to see if I can find a bargain. The internet is full of bargains!

Used books? Love 'em! Wish I had a Half Price Books in town, but I always stop in when visiting my son in Indiana.


I also have this philosophy when it comes to clothing. The clothing industry is not the most sustainable and environmentally friendly. There's a lot of waste that goes on all the time, and the mark up on clothing is ridiculous.

Did you here about Burberry? They destroyed around $30 million of their own line rather than let the items be sold off to discount retailers. Unbelievable.


I purchase a fair amount of clothing from online consignment shops like Thred Up. I can find previously loved and gently used items from some of my favorite manufacturers at a fraction of the cost. Oftentimes, they even sell new items with tags still attached.


And when I'm cleaning out my own closet, I will save the really nice items and send them to Thred Up. It's a win-win.

If you are interested in Thred Up and would like to give it a try, why don't you shoot me an email. I can send you a refer-a- friend offer. Just email me at: maryrosescafe@gmail.com

I like to think that being thrifty is just good stewardship.

But then again, I'm probably a little vintage. ;)


{Today's Brew: Just My Type stamps and dies (MFT), MFT Blueprints dies, spiral punch (SU), amuse notebook paper, Simple Stories paper, copper enamel dots}

Blessings on your weekend, cafe friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment