Wednesday, November 21, 2018

This Is My Father's World


Do you remember your dreams? I do. I have such vivid dreams that I can even remember them in detail upon waking in the morning. 

The other night, I had a bad dream, filled with doom and impending peril from some unknown evil. It was frightening. But when confronted with this evil in my dream, I broke out in a hymn of praise. It was this hymn.


"This Is My Father's World." Was this hymn a part of your church history? This is a hymn from my childhood. I honestly have not heard this hymn in years. Years. And yet this was the song I sang in my dream.


It was this verse:

This is my Father's world,
O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong
God is the Ruler yet.

Wow. Such powerful words of comfort and hope!

I have to be honest. I look around at the world most days, where up is now down and black is now white and wrong is now right, and I ask God "God? Can you see what a mess we've made of this world? Can you see the destructive path we have made for our children and for future generations? Everything seems contrary to your Word."

And still, over a century later, a hymn writer reminds me that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.

I am so thankful for hymns.

A few years back, I briefly belonged to a church that decided to let go of hymns and embrace contemporary Christian tunes like the ones found on the radio. It was a big mistake. Hymns have a history. Hymns are rooted in Scripture. Hymns can give you the full Gospel in one tune, with hearts and voices lifted together in praise.

I am also so thankful for Christian parents that faithfully took me to church every week so that these hymns could become such a permanent part of my psyche that I can even recite them in my sleep. What a comfort and joy that is!


Today's card is a card of thanks. I recently ordered a LOT of new stamps and dies from Concord and 9th. I am in love with their designs, the beauty and simplicity. Like this Lace Leaf stamp. Lovely.


{Today's Brew: Lace Leaf stamp set from Concord and 9th, PTI inks and card stock, SU cord ribbon and copper card stock}

Here's an interesting side note. The first seven notes of this hymn? Howard Shore used them when he composed a theme for the Lord of The Rings movies.

"This is my Father's world;
Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King, let the heavens ring
God reigns, let the earth be glad!"


2 comments:

  1. Love this old hymn also. I'm a former organist who helped launch a new church to attract non-believers. My church is small but a safe, loving group without an organ, choir etc. We use guitar and keyboard/drums and many new praise songs which are often directly quoted from scripture. I like to mix the two into medleys as it allows the mind to feel comfort in the old while learning something new. If you're are not very musical the new worship songs can be difficult compared to the hymns. Blessings, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite hymns. Appreciate the encouraging words. Debated about this stamp set before, but this beautiful card puts it back into my wish list. ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete