Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Nostalgic for Picnics


Picnic...isn't that a fun word?

I got to thinking about picnics last week, as we drove from Michigan to Indiana, and then Indiana to Ohio, and then Ohio to Pennsylvania, and finally back to Michigan. Needless to say, there was a lot of restaurant eating. Pizzas, tacos, hotel breakfast buffets, salads, ice cream, baseball popcorn. So many foods, all of it expensive and much of it unhealthy, too.

Remember when Mom would pack a picnic for any road trip? Maybe there was a cooler, too, filled with sandwiches and maybe chicken and salads and fruit. Perhaps a bag filled with chips or crackers and cheese. There were drinks, and maybe a thermos filled with coffee.

Meals were eaten at rest stops or parks, and everyone slowed down for a moment and focused on the food.

I miss picnics.

Before this summer is over, I will plan a family picnic. I will dust off the basket, clean the tablecloth, and fill the cooler with good things.


In the meantime, I made a card using the stamp set Picnic With You from Stampin' Up. What a cute stamp set! So many possibilities. I made this one using some end of summer colors, and paired it with some plaid papers from Lawn Fawn.


I chose Terra Cotta rather than Poppy for the red apples...mainly because it matched the Lawn Fawn papers better.


{Today's Brew: Picnic With You stamps and dies (SU), Cloud embossing folder (SU), PTI inks and card stock, Lawn Fawn papers, rustic twine}

Thanks for visiting the cafe today!

4 comments:

  1. We took many road trips in my family with picnics for the first day and at least one meal/day. You're using SU products, new or old? I like this set and especially the embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Vikki! Yes, I’ve recently been buying some used and retired SU products from all the demos that unload their stuff when the new catalog comes out. I’ve found so many great deals at great prices, and this was one of them! By the way, your rose garden sounds amazing! You need to send me photos!

      Delete
  2. I love picnics. I remember driving home from the mountains and stopping at a rest stop with picnic tables to eat our lunch that we had brought in a cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still pack a cooler when we go on road trips. It saves money and is healthier, but I confess we do not stop to eat. We eat in the car as we drive, so it saves time, too.

    ReplyDelete