Thursday, August 15, 2019

Tutorial: How To Turn Any Die Into A Stitching Die


Hello, cafe friends! I've brewed up a fun tutorial for all of you today. This one is called "How to turn any die into a stitching die".

Stitching dies are all the rage right now, and many of them are super cute. But you can really turn any die into a stitching die with just a few tools.


Many moons ago, when I was a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, I bought this tool kit. It contains a lot of helpful tools, like mini hammers, tweezers, etc.



For today's project, I used the pokey tool and the foam pad. I began with a die cut leaf from Concord and 9th.


I began by lightly tracing some veins on my leaf.


Next, I poked the holes, making sure to keep them as even as possible, and always poking a hole where the veins meet in the center. You don't need to erase those pencil marks, as they will get covered up with floss.


Next, I used three strands of DMC floss, and got to work back stitching.


The back side will not look pretty, but no one will see that. You may need to cut some loose threads. I adhered my ends with some glue dots rather than knotting.


Finally, I adhered the stitched leaf to the card front with some foam tape, and voila! A hand-stitched card made with love!

I think this is a great way to get some extra mileage from the dies I already own.


And lest you think I am jumping in to autumnal cards too soon, I want to show you what I saw at the Lowe's parking lot today. Eek! Leaves are starting to turn here in Michigan! This may have something to do with heat and a recent lack of rain, though. Still, autumn and pumpkin spice season cannot be far behind!


{Today's Brew: Grateful stamps and dies (Concord and 9th), Lawn Fawn stitched frame dies, Lawn Fawn plaid paper, PTI inks and card stock, enamel dots, DMC floss}


Thanks for visiting the cafe today, friend! I am so grateful for you!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I have a similar set from Memories that has many of the same tools. I will need to find a foam square to do my poking on. Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary. I haven't purchased any stitching dies except for an Altenew pegboard die for cross stitching. Like Chris I have similar tools and will try it.

    ReplyDelete