Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Twice Baked Fauxtato! (And big markdowns on my pop up sale!)


I know what you are thinking. Fauxtato? Pass. But I promise, this one was really good!

Last weekend, my husband wanted to grill the bacon wrapped filets that we had in the freezer. It sounded good to me! Only problem...what to serve with them?

I went in to the garden, picked some tomatoes and cucumbers, and made a quick Farm to Table salad. Great. But I really wanted something extra. If I had potatoes, or even sweet potatoes in the pantry, I would have fixed them. We are not "all or nothing" when it comes to foods. We like to eat most things in moderation. For example, we like a good carb in the form of a slice of whole grain bread or a good red skinned potato once in a while.

Upon inspection, the only thing I could find in the fridge was a head of cauliflower.

And Ed is not a fan of cauliflower.

What to do? I decided to try my hand at a twice baked cauliflower fauxtato dish. And I have to say, it was yummy! Even Ed liked it!


Cauliflower Twice-Baked Fauxtato

one head cauliflower, chopped
1 T. Better Than Bouillon Chicken
2-3 T. Greek Nonfat yogurt
1-2 cloved garlic
1-2 T. finely chopped onion
1 c. shredded colby jack cheese
Fresh chives, chopped
Bacon, crumbled

Fill a big stockpot with water and bring to boil. Add chopped cauliflower and Better Than Bouillon chicken, and cook until cauliflower is tender. Drain cauliflower and transfer to small baking dish. Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency ( I like mine a little lumpy). Add the rest of ingredients, stir to blend, and top with a little extra cheese if desired. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, until mixture is warm and bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove and top with chives and bacon (I used Bacon Bits). Serve and enjoy!

Remember my pop-up sale last week? Well, I've made big markdowns. I just want to give these items a new home, so make me an offer! You can see them here:

https://maryrosescafe.blogspot.com/2019/09/pop-up-sale.html

Thanks for visiting the cafe today!

1 comment: