Monday, November 18, 2019

The "Using What I Have" Challenge


We've all been down this road.

As crafters, part of our enjoyment comes from getting the next new thing. And then the next new thing. It is a big part of what inspires us. But somewhere along the way, we've turned our hobby that once was about creating into shopping.

This year, I'm challenging myself (along with my $12 Challenge!) to use what I have.

My latest stitching project is a case in point.


I bought this Take Along kit from the clearance spot of one of my favorite shops...Always in Stitches in Noblesville, Indiana. How long have I had it? Oh, probably close to ten years now.

Nine years ago, our oldest son, Luke, was attending Ball State University when I received a phone call.

"Mom? I'm in the emergency room at the hospital in Muncie. They think I have appendicitis."

Yikes! I called my husband, made arrangements for Sam's care, packed a bag and drove an hour north.

In my bag? This Take Along kit from The Trilogy. I needed to work on something while I prayed for Luke in the hospital. And the fact that this kit already had everything I needed? Perfect.

I stitched while Luke got stitched up, and then I put it down later and forgot about it.


I picked it back up this week and decided to take this project from the UFO category (UnFinished Objects!) to the FO category!


I think when I've finished the stitching, I will turn it into a pillow wrap and give it to Luke. He will get a kick out of the backstory that goes along with this project.

Using what I have...it feels good!

Blessings, cafe friends!

1 comment:

  1. What a happy ending to your story! I have several UFOs....well mostly finished, but not FRAMED. I hope to rememdy that soon! Meanwhile, your little snowmen are as sweet as can be!

    ReplyDelete