Friday, November 15, 2019

White Bean and Turkey Kielbasa Soup


My Dad ate about five meals. I am not joking. As he became older, he crossed more and more foods off his preferred list. He even ordered one of his meals on a cruise ship: peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It actually made it into the comedian's repertoire that night. Who orders PB and J on a cruise?! My Dad, that's who.

My family always comments on my son, Sam's picky eating. HELL-O! He came to it naturally!

This meal was one of my Dad's favorites. Bean soup. It is such a humble soup, and a family classic.

There are a LOT of bean soup variations out there. Some people use ham (my husband's preference), others use no meat, only beans. Some people add a stock. Some folks top their bean soup with diced onion. My family used to add a splash of apple cider vinegar (I don't know why!).

I've changed things up a bit and made it my own. This recipe is fast and simple and done in under an hour. It is low in fat and packed with protein and fiber. It's a great way to warm up on a cold day, too.


White Bean and Turkey Kielbasa Soup

1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chopped celery
2 T. olive oil
1 c. carrots, chopped
2 cans Bush's Great Northern Beans (Do not drain)
2 cans water
1-2 c. diced Yukon Gold potatoes
1 pkg. Jennie O Turkey Kielbasa, chopped
2 bay leaves
freshly ground pepper and salt to taste

In a Dutch oven or stock pot, saute onion, garlic and celery in olive oil until tender. Add carrots and toss to coat. Add the beans one can at a time, then fill can with water and add to pot. (Some people would substitute a vegetable or chicken broth here, but I honestly do not think you need it). Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow boil, then turn down heat to cook on low, stirring often. When all vegetables are tender (about 30 minutes to one hour), serve. Great with saltine crackers or corn bread! Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This is my kind of meal! I love to make bread, too, so a nice crusty loaf would go great with this on a cold day. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete