Saturday, March 21, 2020

COVID-19 Plan: Make Cards, and Send Them!


I have a little story to share.

You remember last January, when I mentioned that a loved one was in the hospital? Well, since that time, we have moved our loved one from a rehab center to an assisted living care facility. It has been a challenging time for our family, but God has been so faithful every step of the way. Our loved one is well cared for now, and though she is on lock down and we cannot physically visit her, we now have the ability to video chat with her. She seems happy and content with the situation. What a relief!

In the meantime, my husband and I are packing up her former apartment, cleaning out, and getting ready to put everything in storage by the end of the month. Our hope is that one day, when COVID 19 precautions are lifted, we can have a spring estate sale.

We've been sending her cards in the mail, as have her friends and family. And I know she loves receiving them and looking at them. As a matter of fact, she had SO many cards in her apartment that she'd saved over the years, including all the cards I'd made (what a trip down memory lane that was!).

But here's the thing.

We found DOZENS (maybe more than a hundred) of greeting cards that she had purchased over the years and meant to mail but never did. Cards for my husband, cards for her grandchildren, cards for friends. She had good intentions, but terrible follow through.

I have to remind myself frequently to not just make the card, but mail the card, too!

Let's make an effort during these trying times to reach out to our friends and family in new ways. And maybe, as an extra precaution, don't lick the envelope flap to close it. Just sayin'.

I think I may need to make a LOT of Easter cards this year, when I consider that I may not see my church family in addition to my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews.



Today's card is just a fun card. Concord and 9th is making some fun interactive cards and dies. I steer clear of the really complicated ones, but this one was pretty simple. And if you can make one, why not two?


{Today's Brew: Concord and 9th Mail Drop stamps and dies, C and 9th woven plaid background, PTI card stock, Distress Oxide ink, COPIC markers}

One of my new favorite purchases: Stick It Adhesive Sheets! They work great for intricate die cuts like the scripty Hello!

We are heading out today to do more apartment packing. I think a trip to a big box home improvement store is in our future. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet cards and excellent reminder!! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the yellow plaid background and the darling envelopes! I had to chuckle about what you found. I found a mother's day card in our cupboards when we were moving and neither of us have a birth mother alive. I think it is generic enough (my husband bought it) that I can send it to a deserving mom.

    ReplyDelete