Tuesday, April 7, 2020

COVID-19 Plan: Puzzles


In an effort to keep the family engaged during quarantine, I pulled out a puzzle.

Apparently, I was not alone!

I spoke with my sisters this weekend via Face Time, and they showed me the puzzles their families have been working on, too!


A recent Wall Street Journal article had the headline "Coronavirus Means Everyone Wants Jigsaw Puzzles. Good Luck Buying One."

Puzzles and board games are now big demand items!


When my two oldest sons were little, we had a series of 500 piece puzzles that we really enjoyed called Buried Blueprints. They used to sell them at the high end toy stores. You know, the stores that sold those expensive Thomas the Tank Engine and Brio trains! The artwork was wonderful, and each puzzle included interesting facts. The pieces were high quality, too.


Last autumn, I was shopping at the local Goodwill and found two 1000 piece Buried Blueprints puzzles! Three dollars each. Score! Of course, you always take a risk when buying used puzzles, as all the pieces may not be there. I purchased one about the Civil War at Sea, and another that featured Amelia Earhart.

I was googling the puzzle, trying to get a good picture of what it looked like finished. And to my shock, I saw the puzzle on sale at Amazon for $80! I guess my Goodwill find was a real treasure!

I like to leave a puzzle out and wait to see what happens. Sure enough, some family members try to resist the temptation, but after a time, I notice that everyone contributes.

Anyone else working on puzzles during quarantine?

4 comments:

  1. We've done two. The second one was 1000 pieces of a New Yorker magazine cover, The Piano Lesson. We finished it within 28 hours. No crafting done during that time plus I stayed up late (1 a.m.) to work by myself on it. We shared several puzzles with family and friends before our move thus our current supply is small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Vikki! We are nearly done, but as I feared, I think we are missing a piece or two. I need to get busy crafting today!

      Delete
  2. Those puzzles sound SO interesting, Mary Rose!! Who knew your innocent puzzle purchase could be worth so much? I once put together a White Mountain puzzle of a colored pencil drawing of the New England states. It was crammed with so many facts and, having spent 4 summers there as a live-in nanny during college break, it was a trip down memory lane. My middle daughter and I love puzzles and put a Ravensburger or Gibson one together every Christmas. She has a Fantastic Beasts one we need to get started on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, we visited White Mountain a few years back...beautiful!

      Delete