Tuesday, June 9, 2020

First Harvest! (And a Delicious Salad, Too!)


I had my first official harvest from the garden yesterday ! ( I say "official" because I've been using the herbs for a while now).  My lettuce and spinach bowls have really grown quickly this year. I'm so happy with the results!

I grow these in shallow bowls and move them around my deck, where they get optimal sunlight.


When dinner time rolled around, I really didn't have a plan. I had some sweet corn, but didn't know what I was serving with it. I threw together a unique salad, and it was really delicious!


Do you ever get in a salad rut? I know I do. Store bought Romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, balsamic dressing...yawn! It gets boring.

It's good to shake things up in the salad category once in a while!

This was a "Using What I Have in the Fridge and Pantry" salad, and it was delicious and very filling. A big hit with my husband! There's a sweet and savory aspect to this salad that comes from the apple sausage and onion combo.


Salad Greens with Chicken Apple Sausage and White Bean

1 Pkg. Chicken Apple Sausage (4-5 links), sliced
1 Sweet Vidalia onion, sliced thin
1 can white bean ( canelli or Great Northern), rinsed and drained
2 T. olive oil
1/4 c. Garlic Expressions dressing (or any preferred vinaigrette)
2-4 cups mixed lettuce greens ( I used Mesclun and spinach)

In a pan, heat olive oil and add sausage and onion. Sautee until onions are soft and sausages are cooked. Empty mix in a bowl and set aside. In same pan, add beans, stirring and cooking for just a few minutes until warmed and very lightly browned.

Arrange lettuce greens on a platter. Top with sausage, onion and beans. Drizzle dressing over salad. Enjoy!



Summer cooking should always be this easy...and delicious!

Blessings, cafe friends!

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe and fun photos! Summer salads can be so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came just at the right time! I have a houseful of family to feed tomorrow night and this will do the trick! Thank you, Mary Rose!

    ReplyDelete