Friday, July 10, 2020

New Feature! Flat Cards! And This is Why (Warning: Rant Ahead!)


Yesterday, I hinted that I am trying something new and different in my card making. The new feature? Flat cards!

I recognize that I rely heavily on certain tricks and techniques. For example, I love to pop things up with foam dimensionals. And I love to add enamel dots and sequins and sometimes a ribbon. It just finishes off a card and makes it stand out a little bit, in my opinion.

Well, two weeks ago I mailed out two cards. No enamel dots. Nothing very bumpy. Just a few very thin foam squares to pop up a die cut. Guess what? The post office sent them back to me for insufficient postage and wanted fifteen cents more for each card. That means it would cost 75 cents now to mail a card.

I brought it to the post office and asked why, when clearly the card would easily fit through the slot (that was always their original excuse). Now I'm told that if there is anything even slightly raised or bumpy it will cost more.

I have even had to pay extra for putting something that was not a card in an envelope because they claim that makes it " a package". Really? Seriously? The rules seem to change every day, and their enforcement is totally arbitrary.

I never like to complain to service workers. Ever. But I was really ticked off. I told them that they are now "nickel and diming me to death!" And then I went on to ask how I can get money back for the $17 I paid for priority shipping on a package that took me TWO AND A HALF WEEKS to arrive. They told me I would not get that back and that was due to COVID.

I answered "So you are telling me you are charging extra for a service that you know you cannot provide? That is fraud!"

I ordered a package that supposedly shipped two weeks ago. I ordered it from a warehouse that is 1 1/2 hours away from me in Saginaw, Michigan. Guess what? It still has not arrived, and there are no tracking updates. I think I could've gotten it faster if I walked there on foot.


So now, I am making a conscious effort to construct cards that are super flat if I am mailing them in a standard envelope. I am using tweezers and glue and sticky dots more than ever! It's frustrating, but that's the way it goes.

Maybe what I need is a big HAPPY. Oh, here's one! Inside this very flat card!


I ordered these stamps from The Greetery a while back, and finally got around to using them. They really are lovely! I'm sure they will get a lot of use in the future.

{Today's Brew: Oopsie Daisy stamps and dies (The Greetery), Mason Around stamps and dies (The Greetery), Written in Ribbons sentiment (The Greetery), MFT cloud stencil, Lawn Fawn grassy edge die, PTI inks and card stock}

Sorry if today's brew seems a little bitter. LOL! Thanks for listening to me whine today!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel your pain! I recently switched post offices because my normal one was acting just like yours, and the wee little one just down the road seems a bit more lenient. My normal one has new employees.....and they are NOT friendly. It's so frustrating to not be able to get your goodies when they're so close, too. Or to not even know where they are. I recently sold something on ebay and it was just over 3 lb....$37 shipping. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe some "rules" depend on the particular post office. The shipping and delivery time problems, though, seem to be nationwide. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have post offices I go to because they are more lenient and others I avoid because of their pickiness. My cards are definitely not flat cards but I've never had anything returned to me. If it's bumpy, I turn the card inside out before putting it in the envelope. That's awful about the excuses they gave for your priority mail not arriving within the promised time frame - zero customer service and integrity there. Your card, however, is beautiful and cute!

    ReplyDelete