Sunday, October 18, 2020

In A Pickle

 


Gardening season has slowly been coming to an end. When I saw the forecast for frost this week, I knew I had to get out and pick the last of the produce.


I've been busy pickling peppers and tomatoes, and looking for ways to use up the green tomatoes.


One method for ripening tomatoes is to place them in cardboard boxes with an apple or banana. The fruit will produce ethylene gas, which helps in the ripening process. Science! It takes a few weeks, but I am giving this a try. For the almost ripe tomatoes, I've been keeping them on the sunny window sill in the kitchen, and that has helped, too.

It was a pretty good year for peppers, tomatoes and zucchini, but not a good year for cucumbers. Next year, I will definitely grow more peppers for pickling, but I will skip the eggplant and cabbage experiment (fail!). I won't bother with potted vegetables (not very successful), but I will keep using potted herbs as long as possible.


This farm girl learns a little more with every growing season! And speaking of farm girl, my sampler is coming along slowly. Now that the main image is stitched, I just have to work on the chicken, the canned preserves and the frame. Hopefully, I can move on to a holiday theme when this one is done!

Blessings, cafe friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment