Saturday, January 23, 2021

Done and Finished! Take THAT, Perfection!

 


I have found that perfectionism is the killer of creativity and production.

It usually looks something like this:

*If I can't make a card that looks like Jennifer McGuire made it, then I just won't make cards.

*If my book won't sell like Debbie Macomber, then I just won't write it.

*If I can't watercolor like Marjolein Bastien from Hallmark, then I just won't paint.

*If my house won't look like a magazine, then I just won't clean and decorate it.

*If my dinner won't look like Giada's, then I will just order takeout.

*If my business won't be wildly successful like ___, then I won't start one.

You get the picture.

If it's not perfect, I will have a temper tantrum and sit in a corner and do nothing.


This is my year for getting stuff done. No half-finished projects. No books that I started to read and didn't finish. Done! 

I want to be more productive in 2021.

Today's Done and Finished Project: The Lori Holt Bee in My Bonnet Stitch Cards Winter Garland!


I wasn't certain how I wanted to finish these, so I did a little browsing. I found that Priscilla from The Real Housewives of Cross Stitch had a great tutorial on YouTube. Simple. Sticky boards cut to size, fabrics cut to size, hot glue gun and embellishments. Done!





Notice how I didn't say "Perfect." These are not perfect. But they are done!

They are merely taped up to the fireplace mantle. Nothing permanent. Just a sweet seasonal decoration. Who's going to see it? Me and my boys. And that's enough.

I also like the idea that if I want to pop these into a frame later, I can. 


{Today's Brew: Lori Holt Bee in My Bonnet Stitch Cards, AIDA and DMC, Stampin Up fabrics from my stash, Amuse stitched grosgrain ribbon from my stash, PTI Buttons from my stash, SU baker's twine}

We are having a "Lord of the Rings" movie marathon at home this weekend. I loved this Gandalf quote:

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Today, I am going to have a video chat with my Mother-in-Law, bake loaded sweet potatoes for dinner, and try to convince my husband to swap out our kitchen hardware. 

Time well spent!









4 comments:

  1. I like your attitude! I can get stuck in the "this isn't perfect, so why bother" mindset. "Good enough" is okay. It relieves the stress and gives me a feeling of accomplishment. Thanks for reminding me. Your crosstitch project is lovely! Congrats on wrapping it up. Now you and your family can admire your handiwork. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good enough! I should cross stitch that motto and hang it in my house! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Your cross stitching is so sweet and charming! I love them! It's so fun seeing what you're working on. Perfection is a crusher of so many good things, for sure. My husband and I watched the Man-Child movie marathon on Comedy Central last night - we laughed until we cried and it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughter is good medicine! And winter is the perfect time for those movie marathon weekends.

      Delete