Saturday, February 27, 2021

Purim

 


Yesterday was the Jewish celebration of Purim, a time dedicated to the story of Queen Esther. In the Old Testament, the Bible tells  us that Esther's bravery (with a little encouragement from her uncle Mordecai) saved her people from destruction. Mordecai tells Esther that perhaps she was born for such a time as this. Don't you love that thought?

I decided it would be fun to make the traditional Hamentashen cookie that is served at Purim. Hamen was the wicked advisor to the King, and he is depicted in plays as having a tricorn hat. Thus the triangular shape of the cookie.


I found a very easy recipe on Pinterest. Egg, sugar, vanilla extract and orange juice, then flour and baking powder. I let the dough chill a bit, then rolled it out and cut out the circles. Next, I added a dollop of raspberry jam to the center.


My first batch came out a little wonky. I tried to squeeze the corners, but it flopped in the baking. Still delicious, though!


For the next batch, I did more of a fold technique, and it looked much prettier. I added a little dusting of powdered sugar when it was cool.

As a side story, my husband discovered through Ancestry.Com that his family on his birth father's side was 20 percent Eastern European Jew. I told him I made these cookies for "his people". 😊

Shalom, café friends!









1 comment:

  1. Good for you. You learned from your first batch. I need to bake these sometime. We live near two artisan bakeries in a Jewish neighborhood. We had fig, chocolate/cherry, and apricot hamantaschen to choose from. All were excellent.

    ReplyDelete