Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Life Lately

 


What is this great pile of stuff, you ask? That's all the things we've been purchasing lately for Sam's dorm room at college. The bedding, the towels, the closet organizers, the health and bathroom stuff.  His move-in day is a week from Wednesday. We are pretty casual about this whole thing, especially because we know he's living about twenty minutes down the road. And let's face it...with two older brothers, this ain't our first rodeo.

Still, it's a lot to think about. And it is our last rodeo!


My husband and I take walks every night with Jemma where we reflect on our complicated lives and try our best to sort things out.

In the same week we are moving Sam to college, my husband will also be moving his father and step-mom into assisted living.

At a time when we should be saying "Woo hoo! Done taking care of people!", we find ourselves in the position of caring for our aging parents instead of our children. 

I told Ed we are living in the Fourth Commandment zone, honoring our father and mother, or in this case, father and multiple mothers.

My Mom fell last week (again) and broke her nose. 

My Mother-in-Law has some good days and bad days with her dementia.

It's tough.  We just want everyone to be safe and loved and cared for in the best possible way.


And how do we do that while maintaining our own mental health and well being?

Ed bikes...a lot. It clears his head.

I walk... a lot, for the same reasons.

We try to find time to steal away for fun. Ed is taking Sam to Pittsburgh for a few days to see the Red Sox play the Pirates. And when they return, I am heading to Indianapolis to spend some time with our two oldest sons.


Some nights, I wrap myself up in an afghan and sit out on the deck, listening to the cicadas and crickets and looking at the stars. Yes, life is complicated. But it is still good. And we can give thanks for that every day.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, life is complicated. Some days it's hard to look past that, but, yes, life is still good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have got a full plate but I am glad you can still see that life and God are both good. I think we may be going to the same game as your husband and son! We asked my parents how we could celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary and they said they wanted to go to a Pirates game, so Saturday night we'll be there for the game and Skyworks show.

    ReplyDelete