Friday, June 2, 2023

I Made A Quilted Heart!


Have you heard of the Random Act of Kindness group called "I Found A Quilted Heart"? People make quilted hearts with a note (printed from the website) that says "I need a home", and they leave them in places for others to discover...parks, trails, along a sidewalk, etc. 

I found one a few months back and was so excited because I'd read about the group. Finders from all over the globe post their hearts on social media and tell the story of their heart and where they found it. 

I decided that this would be a great way to honor my sister Tina, who was not only a fabulous quilter, but also had a big giving heart.


I began with some squares of patriotic fabrics from Moda, cut them in strips, and sewed them together.


I pressed the seams, too.


Next, I looked for a good heart pattern. I wondered "Did Tina have one in all of those loverly crafting books she gave me before she went home to Jesus?"

Silly woman. Of course she did! 

I used the heart to trace the pattern onto the backside of the fabric strips. I also used it to cut out two hearts from quilt batting. I made a nice sandwich with two layers of fabric hearts and two layers of batting in between and a length of ribbon for hanging, then sewed it all together. When that was done, I cut out the edges with pinking shears.

I added a button and the tag with a sweet safety pin from my stash.


My first attempt at quilting!

I am sure my sister is busting a gut laughing in heaven at my quilting! 😂 Mistakes were made. That's okay! I hope to get better with practice.

I am going to hang this one on my sister's bench. My brother-in-law had this one installed at a local park.





I plan on making six of these patriotic hearts for the summer months, keeping a stash in my car or in my bag for when inspiration strikes. This will be a good way to use up some of my fabric stash, too.

Blessings on your Friday, café friends!













 

3 comments:

  1. Mary Rose, what a sweet idea! I had never heard of this. I may give it a try soon. Kind of like the painted stones, but I like this idea even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable heart, and what a great way to honor Tina while brightening someone's day! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet way to remember your sister! Good job at quilting too! Vikki H

    ReplyDelete