Saturday, April 27, 2024

A Study in White: A Card Stock Comparison

 


White card stock can be a tricky thing. There are so many different shades and variations. Some are smooth, some are heavy, some are toothy, some lean to gray and still others lean to yellow.

How to decide!


I have a few favorites. Papertrey Ink has always sold good quality card stock at a very reasonable price. I use them often.

Catherine Pooler has a great white that is very smooth and good for COPIC coloring. But it is also pricey.

When I need a good, heavy card stock that is readily available and often on sale, I choose Recollections from Michael's.


Michael's had a sale this week. Buy one package of card stock, and get another for 50% off. I picked up 110 LB White and White Dove.

I use a lot of Simple Stories patterned papers, and I find that their white background is a very soft white that leans to cream.


Here, you can see that the CP white card stock is just too starkly white.


The PTI Vintage Cream is getting closer, but maybe a tad too creamy.


Recollections White Dove is a very good match.

Papers from other companies may need a different choice. My Catherine Pooler papers look better with a very clean white, like PTI or CP. And some Lawn Fawn papers may need a grayish white. Stampin' Up can go either white or vintage cream.

Do you have a favorite card stock brand?

1 comment:

  1. I've stuck with Stampin' Up! for years and years and have been happy with their paper. A woman gifted me several packages of the Recollections brand cardstock and I enjoyed using it, too, but found the paper was a hair bigger than 8-1/2 x 11. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it's just easiest for me to get Stampin' Up!'s paper (it's convenient to order everything from one source). However, I checked out PTI a month ago and am tempted to give them a try. They have beautiful colors and offer cardstock packs of 50 sheets. This would be economical and helpful given the volume of cards I make (I teach 3 classes a month plus mail out a lot every month plus make cards for Meals On Wheels lunches).

    ReplyDelete