Friday, April 26, 2024

Just Do It

 


Do you ever hear yourself saying "Some day, I am going to...."

And do you ever wonder why that "some day" never comes?

I think many of us have a "some day" list. Some day, I'm going to...

...run a 5K.

...write a novel.

...organize my photos into albums.

...clean my attic.

...learn to quilt.

What stops us from trying these things?  I think sometimes it can be a fear that we won't be good at it. Fear of failure can hold us back. Other times, it's perfectionism that stops us from even attempting something new. 

Or perhaps it is just time itself...finding time in our busy 24/7 life to fit in one more thing.


I'm working on my "some day" list this year.

I've always wanted to learn to watercolor. Should I take a class? I'm sure it would be helpful. But hey, I have all the supplies and books, and the internet is full of teachers. Why not try it at home?


Learning to play my mountain dulcimer has really added some joy to my days. There is something peaceful and lovely about being able to make music. I am enjoying my twice-a-month lessons with my instructor, and I think I'm really making progress.

One thing I discovered. If my instrument is out and on its stand, and not tucked away in a case (out of sight and out of mind), I am much more likely to pick it up and strum a tune throughout the day.


Life is short. Incredibly short. This becomes apparent as I get older and witness the speeding pages of the flipping calendar as months go by. Seasons come and seasons swiftly go. I want to put a pause on moments, to be deliberate about my days. I'm going to spend the day with my Mom today, doing mundane things and loving the time we have together.

1 comment:

  1. "Just do it" - you are speaking my motto lol! I adore the process and the challenge of learning something, so I tend to dive right in when an idea hits. In fact, I just decided a couple hours ago to master the art of making a pie crust - so many tasty fruits will be in season over the next few months! - and have already returned from the store with what I need to make one today. King Arthur Flour will be my helper!
    When I begin saying, "Some day..." it's usually for one of two reasons: I have so many ideas that I get overwhelmed or deep down I don't really want to do it.
    I applaud you for learning to watercolor and to play the dulcimer! Both are worthy pastimes and beautiful ways to glorify God!

    ReplyDelete