Thursday, September 5, 2024

Editing the Garden

 


I read a great article about editing your garden last week that inspired me to do the same.

The idea behind editing is just giving yourself permission to remove plants or bushes that don't work for you anymore. It could be that the color was wrong, the height didn't work, it grew too much or not enough.

My pollinator garden had become overgrown. I yanked out all the milkweed and propped them in the back by the woods. That way, if there are still any butterflies about (and I doubt it...it's been a terrible year for them), they can still eat them.

Next, I removed some "one off" plants that didn't thrive there. I moved a few to other locations.

I cleaned. I pruned. I pared down.

And then I went to Walmart for a little autumn browsing.


As I was nearing the self check lanes, I saw an indoor display of garden mums. They looked pretty healthy, and for $5.88, I thought they were a fair price.

And then I rang them up.

The screen said "Mums, $1.

I flagged a clerk and said "This can't be right."

She said "Did you get these from inside and not from the outside garden center? I think they just want them gone, so they marked them down."

What!?  One dollar!?

I bought the four in my cart.

And then, when I got home, I regretted not buying more. So I sent my husband back on his way home from work.

I now have mums for days!

In this front bed, I removed some New Guinea impatiens that didn't work well. I put them in pots in the back yard for now. It freed up some space for these beauties.




In a few weeks, I'll add some pumpkins for more fall color.

So thankful for this surprise deal of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment