Thursday, September 12, 2024

When Two Worlds Collide

 


I found a way to combine two of my hobbies last week!

I made a dulcimer-themed card!

How, you ask? Simple! Find someone who makes dulcimer rubber stamps on Etsy!


I love this!

I created a musical background using a stamp from Catherine Pooler. Next, I gave it some autumnal elements from Hello Bluebird. And finally, I added a cute little gnome friend strumming his instrument.


{Today's Brew: On Staff background stamp (Catherine Pooler), acorn/leaves dies from Hello Bluebird, Gnome Sweet Gnome stamps and dies (Hello Bluebird), CP inks, white gel pen, shimmer spray}

And now, I must show you my latest find!


My new (to me) dulcimer!

My old dulcimer was made by Warren May from Berea, Kentucky over 30 years ago. It was fine for learning, but it didn't really have the rich, full sound that I knew could be achieved.


This beauty was made in 2016 by Richard Ash and his brother, Sam, in Woodburn, Indiana at their shop, Folkcraft Instruments. It is a Folkroots D series, made from walnut and spruce. It has a larger dimension, giving it a fuller sound.

This baby sings!

And when you strum across the frets, the sustain just goes on and on and on. It's lovely!

I got it used from an online site, and it came with travel gig bag, noter, and strap. Honestly, it is in such pristine condition that I'm not sure if the original owner ever played it. I get it. Sometimes, we make impulse buys thinking "I'm going to do that one day!". Been there, done that. (Hell-o? I had my original dulcimer for 10 years before I got around to properly learning to play it!)

I got a great deal...less than half the price of what a new instrument would cost. Yay!

The sound holes are a design called Leafy Hearts. I think they look like Redbud leaves. So pretty.

I'm going to begin playing with others in some jam sessions this month. Looking forward to this new challenge! We are currently learning some Christmas music, too. So much fun.

I try to find time to play every day. Creativity is good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment