Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Thoughts on the First Day of School

 


Yesterday was the first day of school in our Michigan small town. I was walking in the morning and saw this on a neighbor's driveway. Sweet.

And it dawned on me.

This is the first time in 30 odd years that I do not have a child going "back to school". No preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school or college students. The boys are now men and finished with their official educations.

It's a bittersweet feeling.

Other Moms in my age group are now Grandmas. enjoying the process in fresh new ways with their grandchildren. But that is not the case for me. Could it happen in the future? Yes. Is it possible that God does not have that in store for me? Yes, that is also a possibility.

As a Mom and former preschool teacher, I still love that feeling that comes from new books and a pencil case filled with fresh pencils, markers, crayons and erasers. Sometimes, I peruse the Back to School aisles at the store, just to see what's the latest and newest and trendiest.

I spoke with a dear friend recently who was (and still is) the director of the preschool in my hometown. I asked her how she'd feel about me coming by occasionally to play music and sing with the children. She was so excited, and asked if I'd consider coming at least once a month.

 I think this will be really good for me. I've been freeing up my calendar from work-related assignments that were adding unnecessary stress with very little payout. I want more time to volunteer and explore.

It's a new stage in life, and it's time to adapt. In some ways, the person who is going "back to school" this season will be me.

Time to get a fresh backpack and fill it with some good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment